Last week, a residential fire broke out in a home occupied by two people in Piney View, West Virginia that resulted in the destruction of the house. The cause of the blaze is currently under investigation by the State Fire Marshal’s Office and the Raleigh County Sheriff’s Department. The two residents of the home were initially trapped inside the burning house, but were rescued by Sheriff’s Deputies and the fire department. According to the Charleston Gazette, they are now in critical condition in a local hospital.
We here at the Wolfe Law Firm are saddened by this news and hope for a speedy recovery of the two victims. This story, while unfortunate, is an important reminder of the hazards that can exist in the home. Now that winter is here and the temperature is dropping, many of us utilize propane or electric space heaters to fight the winter chill. While such devices are helpful in combating the cold, they pose a serious fire hazard if they contain faulty wiring or other defects. Homeowners and renters should also be mindful of potential fire hazards from improperly installed or defective furnaces and hot water heaters.
House fires are an uncommon occurrence, but they are far more likely to happen when the weather turns cold and people turn up the thermostat. The Wolfe Law Firm wishes everyone a safe and prosperous holiday season and reminds you to check your heating systems to ensure that they are working properly. If however, you or a loved one have been burned or worse in a fire-related incident, contact a West Virginia injury lawyer to be advised of your rights and get help today.