Carbon Monoxide is the Invisible Killer

1065118_heater.jpg

Known as an “invisible killer,” carbon monoxide poisoning is a very real concern for many West Virginia residents and their families. Every year, carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for injuring more than 10,00 people and killing 5,000 more. Carbon monoxide is odorless, tasteless and colorless, which makes it very hard to identify preemptively without an adequate CO detector.

When inhaled, carbon monoxide is a potentially deadly gas that emanates from any source that burns fuel. Often times, carbon monoxide leaks occur in old or faulty space heaters, large heating and cooling systems, camping equipment, fireplaces and gas stoves. Carbon monoxide can be found not only in homes, but also in businesses, offices, boats, trailers, recreational vehicles and cabins.

It is always a good idea to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home if you don’t have one, especially since the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be so innocuous. Generally, symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, nausea, fatigue and headaches. If you or your family members are experiencing these symptoms regularly, be sure to contact a doctor right away.

CO blocks oxygen from getting to your body, which can damage your cells over time and even kill you if the exposure is great enough. Continued exposure usually exhibits in the form of heart irregularity, coma and eventually death. If you or someone you love has been exposed to CO in a work environment, in someone else’s home or in an apartment building, contact a reliable personal injury lawyer. You may have a case against responsible parties for your injuries.